Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fuel of the 21st century

I was about to take my turn "driving" my friend, Neal's classic car for the first time. I tried to ask for some direction from someone, but Neal, who was inside the car looked at me, then stared straight ahead. This gal, Tanya, who was sort of his mom (but was actually an old manager of mine) wasn't giving me any assistance either. There was also a guy on the back of the car (sitting on the trunk?). So I just had to give it my best effort. I was in something like a sidecar on the right of the car. 
To get the car started, I had to put wheat in (to fuel it)- the first one was like threading a needle trying to get the stem of the wheat in this small hole, but after that the 4" long pieces of wheat went in easily. I didn't know how much to bring, therefore we ran out before we even made it to our destination. Neal and Tanya scowled at me for not planning ahead any better, but I replied, "Nobody told me how much to bring!!"
Tanya had some "fuel" in a roll-up bag, along with silverware, in case we had to start paddling (like a canoe). Instead of wheat, she had glass nail files to use as fuel. I started to put the first one in, but quickly realized (at the same time as Tanya, who started to freak out) that I also had a pen in my hand (which would ruin the engine), so I put that back in the case and added just the nail files, one at a time. We made it to our destination: Central Park. We got out and walked around. Of course the atmosphere was neat... it was Central Park!
While we were there, I got a call from my friend, Dan, asking me for my tax info, which I thought was weird because I already had done my taxes (you know, back in April). 
We were going to leave shortly after that... but I'm not sure how, since we had run out of wheat and nail files.

No comments: