Thursday, January 3, 2013

Not-So-Big Day

It was my wedding day. On the way to the church, I realized I didn't have things ready. There was another bride that was getting married the same day and time (but in a different room) and I kept looking at her and seeing how prepared she was and I got upset with myself. I saw her with her gift to her mom, which made me realize I didn't have a gift for my mom. Except the gift was toilet paper (for her tears... not such a great gift now that I'm awake). I didn't have gifts for my bridesmaids yet either. Then I realized I left my dress at home. Plus, it wasn't altered, so it wouldn't fit me very well. I knew I couldn't be ready in time, but called my mom. She didn't answer, and it wasn't until later that I realized why- I had called my phone contact "Monnie" instead of "Mommie" (which was how I had it spelled). She came to find me and said "I really love you, but you messed up big time!" and I said "I KNOW!!", about to cry. I was terrified and freaking out that it was the biggest day of my life and I had completely dropped the ball on planning and ruined it. I was pacing around deciding what to do, and I saw my dad, who was dressed up. I told Mom he looked nice, though it was a bit much for him... he was wearing a sequin dress, large hat/headpiece with sequined feathers and maybe a wrap or shawl. (Oddly enough, I didn't blink at that.) All my bridesmaids were there on time, but my maid of honor was in a different room, so I called out "Where's my MOH?!" because she was the one who was supposed to keep me sane. I didn't have dresses for my maids either. All my guests were waiting in the church, but I didn't have food for the reception. I had my hair in a ponytail, about which I was freaking out because I wanted an elegant wedding, and my bridesmaid agreed that the ponytail wasn't elegant. I didn't have musicians hired to play, but the organ started to play. I heard the wedding march, so I decided to run home to get my dress. I said, "will they wait for me?" (referring to the guests). Someone said yeah, so a bridesmaid (a sister of one of my actual bridesmaids), 2 of her guy friends and I ran to my place... ran, not drove... through a golf course with very steep hills (or rather, cliffs). When I got to my dress, I put it on. I knew I'd have to tighten it a lot so it didn't fall off (since it wasn't altered to fit me). As I tightened, it ripped. I pulled the strings off completely (except they weren't "dress" strings as much as "undergarment" strings)!
When I got back to the church, an hour or two later, most people were gone or leaving. I was heartbroken.

(Upon waking, I was very glad to realized I still have seven months to continue planning, and a very thorough binder to keep me organized! Praise God!)

No comments: